Writing Assignment Two: Broadway Trip Paper/critical reviews
The purpose of this assignment is to for the student to illustrate their ability to critically read theatrical reviews of productions and make decisions on what to see and what not to see – and with who.
· Pretend you have won a weekend trip to New York City to see a show and do some Christmas shopping. The play tickets are free — and they are giving you a $5,000 gift card to shop the day after.
· You get to bring along ONE other person.
· Research shows that are playing on Broadway right now. Read reviews from legitimate print publications (new york times/ny post/village voice/Time Magazine/etc. (not online web reviews by audience members).
· Pick THREE people from the following list to take with you on THREE SEPARATE imaginary trips:
o Your mother
o Your father
o A sibling
o Your best friend of the opposite gender
o Your best friend of the same gender
o Your significant other (bf/gf)
o Someone over the age of 50
o Someone you just started dating
· What show would you pick to see with each of the three based on the research you have done?
· Write THREE one page papers – each with the following
o Who you are taking with you to NYC and who they are
o Which play you have selected and WHY based on at least two different reviews you have read – you MUST PICK ONE MUSICAL AND ONE PLAY AT LEAST – THE THIRD IS YOUR OPTION BETWEEN THE TWO.
o What reviews you read and where did you find them (cite each)
o If you use quotes your paper should be longer – a paper of more than 20% quotes will be a ‘C”
o Each paper must be a trip with a different person and the show must be different as well
· NOTE: YOU WILL BE GRADED ON:
o HOW IN DEPTH YOU GET ON YOUR RESPONSES. Taking a friend to see Hamilton on Broadway because the like Hip Hop is not good enough –
o How well you utilize the reviews and what they have to say.
· DEDUCTIONS –
o Not citing sources/reviews
o Lack of depth in your response
YOU MUST IDENTIFY THE REVIEW YOU READ AND MENTION WHAT IT WAS IN THAT REVIEW THAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO SEE THAT SHOW WITH THAT PERSON!