Health Status in Low-Income Countries
Week 10: Health Status in Low-Income Countries
What must be done to intervene and ensure that history does not repeat itself for future populations? This week, you examine the impact of the historical roots of social disparities on health of populations in Africa and Latin America. As you go through this week’s Learning Resources, think about what we can learn from history. This week, you consider developing a policy in a country you selected and think about various issues in practicing population health.
• Analyze the impact of determinants on health outcomes for countries
• Analyze public issues in health literacy and cultural awareness
• Identify the relationship between health inequality and life expectancy in selected countries
• Identify efforts to reduce health inequities
• Analyze policy development and country support
Week 10 Project
For your Final Project, share some of your ideas on how you can use the knowledge and insights gained in this course to promote positive social change in your community and the world.
NOTE: WHEN ANSWERING THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS USE THE FINAL PROJECT RUBRIC BELOW:
I. Paper must demonstrate an excellent understanding of all of the concepts and key points presented in the text(s).
II. Paper must provide significant detail including multiple relevant examples, evidence from the readings and other sources, and discerning ideas.
III. Paper must demonstrate a well organized, uses scholarly tone, follows APA style, uses original writing and proper paraphrasing, contains very few or no writing and/or spelling errors, and is fully consistent with graduate-level writing style.
IV. Paper must contain multiple, appropriate, and exemplary sources expected/required for the assignment.
NOTE: ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
Final Project (7 pages), when implementing a policy not including the cover and the references. In developing a policy in the country you selected, consider the following:
1.Explain the rationale for selecting the country. (Bangladesh & sub-Saharan Africa)
2.Describe the social determinants of health in the country that you would need to address. Explain why you need to address these determinants.
3.Explain the possible public issues you might encounter in health literacy and cultural awareness in this country.
4.Describe the relationship between health inequality/inequities and life expectancy for the population in your selected country.
5.Describe two current efforts in this country (you selected) to reduce health inequities.
6.Explain how you might develop a health policy so that it gets the support of the country you selected. Note: Take into account the culture of the country.
NOTE – USE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCES ARTICLE REQURED RESOURSES:
1) Alles, M., Eussen, S., Ake-Tano, O., Diouf, S., Tanya, A., Lakati, A., . . . Mauras, C. (2013). Situational analysis and expert evaluation of the nutrition and health status of infants and young children in five countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, 34(3), 287–298.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
2) UNICEF Bangladesh. Health and nutrition. (n.d.). Retrieved February 13, 2014, from http://www.unicef.org/bangladesh/health_nutrition_311.htm
3) Weiss, M. G., Somma, D., Karim, F., Abouihia, A., Auer, C., Kemp, J., & Jawahar, M. S. (2008). Cultural epidemiology of TB with reference to gender in Bangladesh, India, and Malawi. The International Journal of TB & Lung Disease, 12(7). Retrieved from http://www.who.int/tdr/publications/journal-supplements/cultural-epidemiology-tb/en/index.html
4) World Health Organization. (2010). Health system in Bangladesh. Retrieved from http://ban.searo.who.int/EN/Section25.htm
5) World Health Organization. (2012). Health systems in sub-Saharan Africa: What is their status and role in meeting the health millennium development goals? http://www.aho.afro.who.int/en/ahm/issue/14/reports/health-systems-sub-saharan-africa-what-their-status-and-role-meeting-health