Write 3–4 pages describing the effective use of patient-care technologies, communication systems, and information systems across the care continuum of a health care system of your choice. Add a one-page executive summary your organization could use to disseminate these ideas.
Because a lack of knowledge when using technology can lead to errors in patient care, effective use of technology in health care is paramount to providing a safe health care delivery environment.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 3: Explain the use of information management tools and technologies to monitor and improve health care delivery and patient outcomes.
- Describe effective use of technology across the care continuum in a health care setting.
- Describe how to manage change and technology to improve positive outcomes.
- Support description of effective patient care with current nursing and informatics theoretical ideas.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with expectations of a nursing professional.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- How might standardized nursing language (SNL), interprofessional communication, information system support, staff and patient education, organizational culture, and state and national regulations influence technology use?
- What are the complexities in using technology across a continuum of care?
- What are the opportunities?
- What are the barriers?
- How can we manage change and technology use to develop improved patient outcomes?